Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Katie Couric's posture

doesn't appear to be so good... she seems to be leaning forward, and looks slightly hunched over in her seat or when she is standing. I wonder if the CBS news execs are ok with that.

She is the first full-time female commercial network news anchor (iirc, Connie Chung was only part-time, switching off with Dan Rather). I wonder how ratings for CBS News has been, and if she's boosted them. As I don't watch CBS too much, I don't know if she brings "credibility" to the program, but at least she's played down her [annoying] "perkiness" a lot.

That sort of fake, artificial cheerfulness can be found on local news broadcasts everywhere in the United States. I personally prefer the serious [if "stiff" according to American standards] style of Asian anchors (and of the BBC as well). They don't pretend to be my friend; they're just doing their job of presenting information they consider important, and attempting to do so in an serious, authoritative manner. I can respect that more, even if I still have carefully judge the content (and hidden perspective or bias).

No comments: