Tuesday, July 03, 2007

A new library card

Let's see... what can I remember of Kylee?

"See you later."
So I can get quicker Internet access... I visited the MD and her family on Saturday, and SC's wedding was on Sunday. Pictures to come, as soon as I get back to Boston. The hot weather in Boston prepared me for the 80 degree temperature here in the Bay Area--it isn't bothering me that much.

Edit:

Today I attended the of Fr. Warren, S.J. over at Mission Santa Clara. The church was packed with people, there were very few empty seats. (btw, I like those seats more than the usual pews.) Afterwards I accompanied my mother over to the cemetary, where I had a chance to meet Fr. Mike and Fr. Anthony (of St. Basil's in Los Gatos). The last generation of orthodox Jesuits is dying off. There were only two young faces in the group of Jesuits in attendance--Fr. Paul and another priest. Not sure if there are others at SCU but were unable to go to the Mass or burial. Fr. Warren was known as Pete or Petey--in his novitiate he was known for his piety and called Peter II or St. Peter. Before that he and a friend(?) were known as Pete and ----, named after a cartoon. He was very busy despite his advanced age (I knew him from his celebrating Mass at Our Lady of Peace), and none for his cheerfulness and hm, how did they describe it. Quick charity? Something like that--he was always quick to help and serve others.

After the burial, my mother and I went to Korea House for lunch--it was ok, I thought it was little bit better than the last time I went, but it could be that I have a faulty memory. (I don't really have memorable experiences with food.) I don't know if the si tau po retired or sold the restaurant, but there is a young man handling the restaurant for lunch. (Maybe he's a relative.) If Sarge visits in August, I'll take him to 99 Chicken--I don't think I'll get to it this time around. (SJ Mercury) After that big lunch, I'll just be eating fruit and maybe a croissant tonight.

On Saturday I drove down to San Luis Obispo with my mother to visit the MD and her family. It was a good visit, I got to see both Kylee and Jordyn. Kylee has a good memory and is a quick learner, fun to play with. Jordyn is rather quiet, and slept much of the time. Let's see, what can I remember of Kylee?

"Uncle, Sit."
"Uncle Ted." "Kau kau."
"Get some."
"Read a book?"
"Elephant. Tiger."
"See you later."

I taught her "cheek." It's no surprise that she likes to mimic, but it is fun to get her to stick her tongue out.

SC's wedding was on Sunday, and it was held at the Golden Gate Club in Presidio Park. It was a Western ceremony--not completely secularized, as there were references to the Creator. I'm not sure who the "presider" was--it said "Fr." on the program, but I don't know if he is a retired priest, an ex-priest, or not a priest at all. Instead of the lighting of candles, that had a "mixing of sands" to symbolize the mixing of two families. Many of SC's cousins were there, including EL and the siblings H & M. The food was good (I got the beef), but xiao Jimmy said it wasn't enough for me. Haha. There was dancing too, but no one from our table dance. I guess we're all too shy or something.

We didn't do much afterwards, though xiao Jimmy and his gf were kind enough to wait while I dropped by Japantown for a quick visit to Kinokuniya. We were all tired (I'm not sure why, perhaps because of the weather), and headed home after that. I did have a chance to take a walk around Cupertino the past two nights at least.

Yesterday I had dinner with melkimx at Mayuri. The food there is ok, but I found the tandoori chicken to be a bit dry (even the dark meat!!! I think Bombay Cafe has better tandoori chicken, though they just serve drumsticks and thighs for lunch). KK said I should try Bombay Garden--maybe the next time around. Still haven't gotten around to going to Koi Palace. (Yelp) It was good to see melkimx again, though I have to admit that I was a bit nervous from time to time... there's something about transitioning from the Internet to the Real World that makes it a bit awkward...

No comments: