As to Franck’s calling me a "neo-Confederate," Dictionary.com says, "Ad hominem attacks on one's opponent are a tried-and-true strategy for people who have a case that is weak." Apparently this explains Mr. Franck’s characterization of me as a "neo-Confederate." According to Reference.com, "The term ‘neo-Confederate’ describes a political and/or cultural movement based mainly in the U.S. Southern states that is characterized by a celebration of the history of the Confederate States of America (CSA) and support for the CSA's aims. Neo-Confederate issues may include states[’] rights, such as nullification (in which state laws override federal laws), and a pro-Confederate view of history, particularly regarding the American Civil War and the role of slavery in that war."
I am not a neo-Confederate. I have never celebrated the Confederacy, nor do I downplay the role of slavery in the sectional crisis of the 1850s and ’60s. I do not support the CSA’s aims. There is nothing in The Politically Incorrect Guide to the Constitution along those lines.
Friday, February 22, 2008
The latest from Kevin Gutzman
Neocons vs. the Real Constitution
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment