Yesterday I had dinner at the Buca di Beppo at the Pruneyard in Campbell--it was my first time there. My sister thought that it would be better than Macaroni Grill, and she wasn't sure about Carino's. It seemed like the restaurant didn't have enough wait staff, and they were short on bread and vinegar for some reason. (What's going on with the management?) We liked the salad--KK said it was like eating an Italian sub--lettuce, peppers, salami, cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers. The antipasti, the risotto balls, were ok, but perhaps had too much cheese. And the outside didn't have too much flavor--just tasted like deep-fried flour or w/e. The pasta was spicier than we had expected--I don't think this was noted on the menu. As for the chicken marsala--the sauce was rather sweet, and the chicken breasts were overdone. Based on my most recent experience at Macaroni Grill, I think that Macaroni Grill might be better than Buca di Beppo. Part of my dislike of Macaroni Grill is the name; I suppose it isn't worse than Olive Garden, but I haven't gone to an Olive Garden in a while, either. (The last time was with the New Scot, maybe 3 years ago?)
Maybe I'll try a local Carino's again and see how consistent their quality is. But they're all chains... it's probably better to go to a local, independent Italian restaurant. But there are so few in the South Bay that score high consistently at Yelp. Heh. Italian food shouldn't be so difficult to make--it's probably better just to cook it on one's own... I need a cooking tutor.
But, it was a nice birthday dinner nonetheless. Thank you again to KK and her husband PS!
No comments:
Post a Comment