Monday, June 08, 2009

Jet Li's Wuji

Adidas has a new campaign featuring Wuji, a fitness and healthy system created by Jet Li. The video posted on FB. It looks like a mix of wushu and taiji, and my guess is that its purpose is to promote health through some sort of qi gong. (It is probably useless for actual self-defense, even if it were to include self-defense training as a component.) How many instructors does Li have? Will he be opening a school in Beijing and elsewhere? Will it be successful in China? People will probably continue to practice wushu, taiji, and qi gong instead.

Links:
Jet Li fronts adidas campaign - Media
Jet Li Introduces Wuji, a New Exercise System
Jet Li introduces new way to fitness
Jet Li blends martial-arts with yoga to keep fit

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, as a martial artist myself, I think this is a good thing for the greater good and I hope it takes off. Western fitness rarely incorporates the mind and the benefits of a healthy body for the mind aren't talked about much.

As part of my Wing Chun training, my Sifu has taught me the Wing Chun Qi Gong form, and I am also learning Yang style taiji. I welcome any useful addition to my training, and I imagine Jet's system will be more than just fluff. In fact I have seen some of the moves/poses on the Adidas China site, and it WILL be a good workout.

This new system has the potential to get more people interested in martial arts along the way.

Anonymous said...

I have been studying various forms of Martial Arts for seven years now. I am very fascinated by this Wuji form Jet Li has created. Do you think it will be available in America? I really hope to see it here soon!