even though I haven't seen it yet.
I am losing the desire to watch The Road in the theater. Sarge and I were going to watch it, but it wasn't showing in NC when I was visiting him. I read the wiki article for the novel when it was first announced that it was being turned into the movie, and yesterday I read the movie spoiler.
The story is supposed to be about a father's love for his son -- still, I remember reading something about the movie, and it mentioned that McCarthy had seen the movie and wished that God had been mentioned at least once.
It may be that the movie accurately depicts the horror of what men can be reduced to when they fail to acquire virtue. However, can there be a God in that sort of world?
As far as I know, the novel and the movie is not intended to be a work of Theodicy. But wouldn't someone at least ask the question of whether God exists when confronted by so much death and suffering? How many people would give into despair and actively seek death in such a situation? It would almost seem to be a rational response to the perceived absence of God.
If people were to die on such a massive scale, would Christians not think that it is indication that the Second Coming is at hand? If we believe that God permits evil to happen for the sake of bringing about the good, are we also justified in presuming that His mercy would otherwise prevent something so terrible from occurring? Do we who have benefitted from cheap energy mistake the works of God's mercy for the inevitable effects of human progress?
Cormac McCarthy Society
No comments:
Post a Comment