Sunday, February 07, 2010

American women

A memory: Two Romanian women talking to the Philosopher and the New Scot in their Romanian accents, while we were sitting... in the Noir Bar in Cambridge?

"What's wrong with American women? They're not like women, they're like men. They talk like men, walk like men. They don't act like women." *Romanian women then draw curves in the air to illustrate their point.*

They might have said something about the way Uhmerican women laugh as well.

Edit.
The insecurity of women in who they are is linked to their confusion about what they are. It will not be solved by their imitating men; they must cultivate their femininity and find within it the source of character and feminine strength. Otherwise, this insecurity (along with other causes) results in women remaining adolescents trapped in the bodies of 30- and 40-year-olds. (Just listen to the way they talk and what they talk about, especially when they bring up the topic of relationships.)

2 comments:

Iosue Andreas Sartorius said...

Sadly, many Uhmerican (I like that) men want their women to be men. I wish I had a dime for every time I've heard someone say he preferred the "jeans and t-shirt" type or his ideal girl to be "just one of the guys."

papabear said...

Alas I can't say that "Uhmerican" originated with me. I've seen it used by others complaining about this or that aspect of American culture or society.