The scale of contemporary life is so vast that it is hard to fathom. For most of us, completing even the most homebound tasks – using the bathroom, eating a meal – involves us massive networks of pipe and road, transportation and production, people and powers. For most of us, going to work means traveling a fair amount of horizontal distance – and then logging on to connect ourselves to even more far-flung places, to cover an even greater span of space. Ours is an era in which the grand forces are all centrifugal, as William Leach has written, and in which the injunction is to “extend your reach.” We are told to minimize the time we spend doing things – to seek efficiency – in order to extend ourselves further. Services like Facebook are inevitable in this context, since they both allow and encourage the extension of our reach across great, seemingly limitless distances.
By contrast, the scale of friendship is necessarily limited. Friendship is a bounded relationship, one that thrives on intimacy and depth rather than extension and breadth. Friendship thrives, as C.S. Lewis wrote, by withdrawing people from networks of collective “togetherness” into smaller and more partial spheres. Even if, as Lewis says, friendship is the least jealous of loves, it is always to some degree exclusive. Friendship flourishes when given lots of time and little distraction: conditions which you cannot extend to more than a very few people. In the end, the scale of friendship is limited because each of our lives is limited. Our time is limited, and friendship requires time. (It is telling how silly the dominant values expressed in our language sound when they are applied to friendship; no one has ever complemented someone else by calling her an “efficient” friend.)
Put in starker terms, we might say that Facebook friendship is part and parcel of a culture that values a way of living that – while on certain terms quite interesting and rewarding – is inhospitable to the cultivation of real friendship.
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Susan McWilliams, Facebook and Friendship
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
For the most part, I agree. However, aren't most friendship defined in such ways? I love FB because I've found like minded friends. My family's eyes glaze over if I talk about Transubstantiation. Non of my co-workers would know what I'm talking about. My book club wouldn't be that interested. Many other friends, likewise.
But on FB I've found an international group of friends that not only know what what I'm talking about, but LOVE to discuss subjects like Transubstantiation. And I can discuss at any time of the day and night.
Faith,
The Internet has in many ways enhanced our ability to meet other people, and to "reach out and touch someone." Some can share their soul with someone else after they realize that they identify with the other, having common experiences, dreams, interests. I know this has happened to me. But if the only shared experience is instant messaging, one can easily be fooled into thinking that there is something more there than there really is. (Exchanges of e-mail I don't consider a common experience, even if it, as a form of communication, promotes the development of friendship and sustains it.) Virtual friendships may also give some satisfaction of our longing, as our society is very lonely; but our desire for true friends (or quiet desperation) can often lead us to skip that period whereby people are tested, and invest too much emotion and trust into virtual friendships than we should, We can see how fragile a "virtual" friendship can be when we perceive that there is a lack of reciprocity -- our affection is diminished and we may no longer put as much effort into maintaining it as we did before.
Online relationships can be rather unreal -- human beings are not disembodied beings; we do desire some sort of physical contact as a confirmation of affection and loyalty. Aristotle points out in the Nicomachean Ethics that friends desire to share a life together. We can be resigned to the fact that some of our friends are far away from us and that this cannot change; our desire to have friends close to us will lead some to gradually focus less on distant friendships in favor of those that are at hand. Those who have great virtue and love may be able to sustain each other at a distance, and pledges of prayer may be sufficient for them as a sign of love and help. However, I think for those who are just beginning in virtue do need to have friends that are close by so that they can help one another and practice and pursue virtue together and witness this happening.
I see what your saying. Close soul mates are a blessing. However, I've had fun with my FB friends and blogging buddies. Have you ever been to a blognic? If I happened to travel near where you live, we could arrange to meet at a pub and invite all the area bloggers to join us. It's fun.
I have a funny story. I ran into a FB friend in Union Station, Washington, DC. How's that? I never met him before. I just recognized him from his FB picture. Talk about a chance encounter!!!! A train station! Washington D.C.! I will admit that it was after the Walk for Life and most of my FB friends were there, but I never expected to meet any of them, there.
It was a blessing, and I still consider blogging, FB, EONS, and...the internet, blessings, also. Deo Gratias.
Faith, I haven't been to a blognic, but I have met another Catholic blogger, who lives about 2 hours away from where I am. He is an "amateur" farmer, so I hope to be able to visit him and his family some time this year.
Post a Comment