Saturday, May 01, 2010

Spocom San Mateo

The afternoon and early evening were spent in San Mateo, at Spocom. My reasons for going? Not the cars. Would it have been a venue receptive to someone talking about peak oil? It's doubtful, and the organizers probably would prohibit that sort of activity, no? How do you tell car enthusiasts that their hobby has been rendered pointless, and actually extravagant beyond reason?

The import models were the primary reason for my going. How the underemployed waste their time... how I waste my time, at least. Unfortunately, in the two and a half years that I've been back to California, I can say that the number of new friends I've made remains 0. Where there more choiceworthy events for a Saturday? It might be better to stick to folk and early music.

If I were younger, I might be more excited about meeting the models, but I felt rather dead while I was there. There was some delight in female beauty, but I was doing what anyone who goes to such events does, for the sake of doing it. I didn't really talk with the models. What was there to say, really? One got the impression that some of them were real gong zhu; others seemed to be rather robotic in their fan service -- do models ever tire of making a living through the looks? Do they wish that they were appreciated for something more? One would think that the answer to these questions is yes.

I was surprised when a fight broke out between CD and another model right in front of me. The other model was leaving the Spocom models area; it looked like she was disrespecting CD, and CD went after her and threw a slap or punch. The two went at it, and photographers and other models attempted to separate them, while everyone else gathered around to watch the fight and to take photos or video. As I was caught off-guard, I did not think to capture on video. Maybe someone will upload some video onto Youtube. Event security came and kept the two women apart, and the police officers at the SMEC eventually came and wrote down a report. I don't know if CD was charged with assault and batter, or merely expelled from the grounds. My guess is that she was let go with a warning, as she did not cause any serious injury.

My first reaction? High school. And, to be honest, di ji, as someone from Cal used to say.

While the way some of the models spoke hinted at arrested development, I can't say they are too different from their peers in this regard. I don't know many women who get to the point where they speak like ladies, rather than girls. Import models may seem more feminine, because they are focused on making themselves physically attractive to men, but they can be as Uhmerican as any other woman.

Watching the LEOs at work tonight, I started doubting again that their profession would be a good fit for me. For some reason I feel an aversion to the profession and sometimes to the officers as well when I see them. In the abstract, the profession seems honorable and worthy of pursuit, but in the concrete... something repulses me. I can picture myself working for a particular city, but not for others. (And my feeling towards that city is not that stable. The other day I was working in one of its schools, and I couldn't picture myself putting my life on the line for some of those 6th graders. Maybe it's not their fault that they have the characters that they have, but I do not see a rosy future for many of them.) Is my aversion due to sour experiences with LEOs in the past? Or have I been influenced too much by the LRC blog?

Serving in a militia would be more satisfying, coupled with some worthy 'vocation.' Law enforcement is not the ideal, but a compromise. I don't know if I could ever convince myself that it isn't. It's all moot though, if my back doesn't improve.

No comments: