Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Items of Interest, 29 June 2010

Laura Wood, Twilight: Emotional Porn for Women
Wlmer, Women Leaving their Husbands for Vampires

Asia Times:
Petraeus circles two camps
With General Stanley McChrystal out of the picture in Afghanistan, pressure is growing on US President Barack Obama to move up his July 2011 troop withdrawal timetable and get behind a negotiated settlement with the Taliban. Voices calling for an open-ended military commitment are equally strident. Incoming General David Petraeus is soon to reveal how he will weave his way between the two camps. - Jim Lobe

Obama risks all on flip of a COIN
General David Petraeus, US President Barack Obama's new commander in Afghanistan, is the "guru" of the counter-insurgency (COIN) cult. Petraeus' policy demands a decade-long war, involving nation-building, waged village by village, at a cost of hundreds of billions of dollars and countless casualties. That simply doesn't square with troops supposedly due to start leaving Afghanistan next summer. - Robert Dreyfuss

Energy Bulletin:
Live dangerously: 10 easy steps (original)
Shannon Hayes, Yes! Magazine

When I first released Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity from a Consumer Culture, I was advised to make a list of “easy steps for becoming a radical homemaker” as part of my publicity outreach materials. My shoulders slumped at the very thought: Three years of research about the social, economic, and ecological significance of homemaking, and I had to reduce it to 10 easy tips? I didn’t see a to-do list as a viable route to a dramatic shift in thinking, beliefs, and behaviors.

No comments: