Monday, January 10, 2011

Not a metaphysical crisis but an existential one.

R. R. Reno on Graduate Study and Careers (which links to Matthew Milliner's The Useless University).

I think those who are leaving comments understand the question better than Mr. Reno and Mr. Milliner.

"Over the years I’ve had students and young friends ask me whether or not they should pursue graduate study in the humanities (and theology, which is strictly speaking “the divinities”). Here is what I say: “Only do it if you think it’s worthwhile for its own sake, only if you think you’ll always be glad you did so even if you don’t end up as an academic, only if you’re in love with the discipline.”

Shouldn't we be a bit more serious about our lives than that? Many off this sort of platitude as education/job/career advice, but it's lousy. There are just too many opportunity costs involved with a graduate education. I disagree with those who make grand, absolute claims about autodidacticism, but one who has leisure can learn from someone else outside of the modern American university.

No comments: