Even in Hong Kong one can find a Halloween display. You wouldn't be so surprised to here of it being celebrated in the UK (Inspector Lewis: "Falling Darkness"), but Hong Kong? On FB I saw a photo of a friend's child in a bee costume, next to a giant jack o'lantern display. It's probably at a shopping center, so it's primarily commercial in its observance. Not very much trick-or-treating taking in place in Hong Kong. Maybe Hong Kong youths will celebrate by dressing up in a costume before they go to a party or a bar or a club.
It's not cultural imperialism as far as I know, though I do not know if this was voluntarily adopted by local owners, or if Uhmerican corporations had a hand in the introduction of the holiday. Still, that some Hong Kong people are willing to observe the holiday by dressing up or having their children dress up shows how influential Uhmerican culture is (and how much traditional cultures have waned).
No comments:
Post a Comment