Saturday, November 05, 2011

India Gate

Tried India Gate in Santa Clara today; the naan was definitely better than Bombay Garden's - usually not burnt, though the last batch did has some dark brown crispy spots. The chicken in creamy sauce was decent. My mom has been recommending the place to various people because of the goat meat. The goat meat was not available today for the buffet; there was a spicy fish dish instead. However, the owner(?) specially ordered some goat for our mom since she had inquired about it with the waitress. It was soft, but I note that the lamb at Bombay Garden had improved for my last visit there several weeks ago. The mango pudding at India Gate was a pleasant treat, though it did make use of canned fruit pieces. The daily lunch buffet is $10.99 but it does have less of a selection than Bombay Garden - only 4 meat dishes. I didn't try any of the vegetarian dishes. They should put the salad in a tray instead of one of the buffet pots. It is difficult to get the lettuce at the bottom of the pot. My mom thinks the tandoori chicken at India Gate is better since it is not as salty. The bathroom needs to be cleaned up more, and unfortunately the interior of the restaurant is typical of a restaurant you find in the lobby of a hotel. I don't know how much of that could be improved.

Would I go there again? I am not sure -- I'm rather tired of buffets...

There were several birthday parties happening there. I heard someone leading the (Indian) children in the hokey pokey and heads, shoulders, knees, and toes. I am thinking that it was a young white woman who was directing the children.

No comments: