Friday, December 09, 2011
An end of an era in the Bay Area?
Something relatively minor, but meaningful for me, since I grew up watching Japanese television shows. As far as I can tell, KTSF no longer has any weekend evening Japanese programming. I haven't checked to see if it still has weekday morning news and other programming. Does this reflect local demographic changes? I have heard that a lot of Japanese have moved back to Japan because of the bad economy. Many weer here temporarily because of corporate assignments? I have also heard that more Koreans are moving here. There will probably be plenty of Japanese programming in Hawaii. How about L.A.? San Jose Japantown will be a relic, if it isn't already. It's no longer a "living neighborhood." SF Japantown is mostly a tourist attraction, though it is frequented by Japanese people. There are a lot of Korean businesses in Japantown. I don't think there is a section of SF that could be considered Koreatown. (Our local Koreatown in Santa Clara is labelled on Google Maps.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment