Friday, August 17, 2012

House Concerts

Andrea Beaton, Aria DiSalvio, and Bill Coulter were doing a short tour of the Northern California last weekend; I was able to get back to CA in time to attend their last concert on Monday, which was in Santa Rosa - 2 hours away, and even though I left at 4:30, the traffic at San Rafael and beyond was bad.

They played a mix of material from their respective albums; a lot of Cape Breton music from Andrea, of course. The setting is rather intimate and friendly, as you are going to other peoples' homes. This was the third house concert I've attended this year. Apparently, hosts usually subsidize the expenses of the event, offering guests refreshments, as well. As a result, I feel somewhat "weirded out" thinking of my experiences now, as I don't really know the hosts and don't talk to them much, besides exchanging some greetings and pleasantries. But house concerts provide a venue for lesser-known folk musicians who wish to tour other places, and I did have a good time while I was there.

Were the hosts of this tour part of some sort of association or network? Or just fans and supporters of the musicians?

After the concert, I decided to stop by Grubstake on the way home. Tried the French burger - the fries were decent, but I ordered the Burger medium, and it was well-done and rather dry. Almost as bad as the last burger I had at BJ's, but less char. Maybe the day cook is better?

Nova Scotia Fiddlers Troy MacGillivray and Andrea Beaton #1 (#2)

















Andrea Beaton Cape Breton Fiddle

Something with Bill Coulter:

No comments: