Wednesday, January 08, 2014

"I can't get no respect."

A commenter over at VD:
MrGreenMan is right. I don't know how it keeps getting missed in Libertarian circles, but there is no freedom without economic freedom. But no one talks about it. I guess escaping the corporate gulag is just too hard. And I'm trapped like most are. I'm sitting here in my office (not a cubicle anymore).

But escape we must. To have a free citizen, to be a man that women respect, you have to be financially independent from the corporations. This isn't to say that coming together to work on a company and its products is always bad, but we can't let that determine the course of our financial lives. I worked contract for many years. the money was much better. The flexibility was great. But so was the risk.

Kunstler:
Divisions between men and women are tragically compounded by the dangerous dynamics of work in America that leave many men (especially men) in a vacuum of purpose, meaning, and potency. It is almost impossible these days for low-skilled men to support a family. The indignity of this thunders through broken communities and the penitentiary cellblocks. But the anomie is also expressed in the higher ranks of an economy where office work can be done by anybody, and gender confusion lately has been valorized as a compensating mechanism for the marginalization of men and the failure of manhood. The political blowback from this, when it comes, is apt to be fierce. Look no further than Duck Dynasty.

I've asked before whether women can maintain respect for a man who is subordinate to another women, and I've made the claim that the emasculation of men began not with feminism (though it added to it) but with the growth of the modern nation-state. In the spiritual realm, the negative consequences of this emasculation is the creation of obstacles to the proper exercise of the lay vocation (for men) and their spiritual life.

No comments: