Tuesday, March 22, 2016

The Dorothy Option

Not Just Another Option by Josh Brumfield

What separates the Dorothy Option from the BenOp and other “options” is, I think, the demonstrably charismatic and spirited leadership of both Dorothy Day and Peter Maurin. I don’t feel like a mere admirer of Dorothy. I don’t even “like” the Dorothy Option as much as the BenOp. No, participating in Dorothy’s charism is much too challenging to be some romantic ideal. Instead, I am challenged by the Dorothy Option, called to renounce myself radically. That’s what this “option” is to me: a call to enter into a movement of the Spirit, the Spirit who is pushing, tugging, dragging me to love the Lord in the poor, who is in fact calling the entire Church back to her roots through loving the poor.

Solidarity Hall Press

No comments: