Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Peter Hitchens on First Light

Reflections on 'First Light' a memoir by a Spitfire pilot, Geoffrey Wellum

I probably agree with his first paragraph in regards to the "Greatest Generation":

As I grow more and more disenchanted with the myths about World War Two, what do I think about those, such as my own father, who took part in it and endured hardship and danger in defence of this country? Actually, my respect and admiration for them grows. They had all been through the 1930s, that ‘low, dishonest decade’. They had, almost always, a poor political and strategic grasp of the events that were to engulf this country. They had not been prepared in any serious way for what they had to face. Those who suddenly called upon them to fight and possibly die, were themselves too old to face the consequences of their own policies.

But did the Greatest Generation win the war but lose the peace?

No comments: