Friday, April 21, 2006

Why "The New Beginning"?

Because I might be blogging here regularly instead of xanga. Although I suppose I could just cut and paste entries into Xanga. Blogger lets me put up links, and that's a nice feature. I don't have time for MySpace, and using Facebook seems a bit too 'pervy.' (I don't even know if there is blogging at MySpace and Facebook.)
It would have been more appropriate to start a new blog once I had returned to California, but though I wish to leave as soon as I can, it is not clear when that will be. I hope oil prices don't make it impossible...

I still don't know how seriously I will take this, but I did consider posting on topics related to politics and the military on a separate blog, since Blogger makes it easy to create multiple blogs through one account.

The other reason why I chose the name is Mel Gibson's (mis-)translation of the Greek word apokalypto.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/702/702127p1.html

Apocalypto Later
Mel's Mayan movie makes a move.
by Stax

April 18, 2006 - USA Today reports, via The Associated Press, that Mel Gibson's next directing effort, Apocalypto, will not meet its anticipated August 4 release date after all. Mel's Mayan epic has been plagued by stormy weather during its South American shoot, which has delayed filming enough to warrant the release date switch.Apocalypto will now bow on December 8, right at the height of awards season no less. According to a recent write-up in Time, Gibson's film "takes place in an opulent but decaying Maya kingdom, whose leaders insist that if the gods are not appeased by more temples and human sacrifices, the crops will die." And the lucky winner? Jaguar Paw (newcomer Rudy Youngblood), who goes on the run to avoid his fate. Gibsons says that "Apocalypto" is derived from the Greek for "a new beginning," and was inspired by his work with the Mirador Basin Project to save the Guatemalan rain forest and the ruins of Mayan civilization.

Where did Mel get his translation? There's some controversy about that. According to the AP article cited:

The film’s title, "Apocalypto," a Greek word for an unveiling or new beginning, "just expresses so well that I want to convey," Gibson said. "I think it's just a universal word. In order for something to begin, something has to end. All of those elements are involved. But it's not a big doomsday picture or anything like that."

Unveiling, hence, the Book of Revelation. Of course, the Book of Revelation does talk about THE "new beginning"; maybe I should ask one of the Classics professors at BC about the word. I am looking forward to the movie, though the subject matter isn't as important as The Passion of the Christ, the movie should contain some important themes relevant for us today.

Anyways, English translations of some apocryphal/non-canonical texts can be found here.

Cardinal Newman, The Patristical Idea of the Antichrist:
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4

No comments: