Bishop McGrath visited Our Lady of Peace today.
It was a pas a part of his official tour of the diocese in commemoration of the 25th Jubilee Anniversary of the founding of the diocese of San Jose. He celebrated the 12:00 Mass, and afterwards there was a reception in the community and learning center. (Of course there was food--the lasgana had sausage and ham? And the chicken was from Pollo Loco--pretty good, a bit drier perhaps than the roasted chicken from Costco, but still tasty, perhaps even tastier. I have to find out what ingredients were used.) There is a Jubilee processional cross, with a unique tessara tile being contributed to the cross by each of the 52 parishes and missions in the diocese.
I must admit that I am ambivalent about the use of the organ as a liturgical instrument; I prefer the standard Eastern observance, just unaccompanied human voice for music. Still, I do think an electric organ is just too much, the sound is just too artificial for a liturgical setting, it reminds me of a cheesy lounge act or a Vegas wedding.
As usual, the church was packed for Mass... maybe I should look for a wife at the parish... It's also Bishop McGrath's birthday today, he's 61. 14 years until mandatory retirement, unless his resignation is accepted earlier. He has an Irish accent, but different from the one you usually hear in the movies. (There is an Irish priest who is a member of the order that now staffs the parish, IVE -- Incarnate Word... I have to find out what E stads for. His accent is also different, Fr. Coleman's.) They were playing Irish songs during lunch, I suppose because the bishop is Irish, though most of the people at the reception were Filipino.
It's too bad I won't be here in CA next sunday for Fr. Lee's first Mass. I hope there will be a lot of Koreans in attendance. My mom said she'll try to go, especially for his first blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment