Saturday, July 15, 2006

Photos from St. Patrick's Cathedral

Here are some photos I took at St. Patrick's Cathedral last Friday. I took the "Chinatown Express" down to NYC, choosing Fung Wah over the other company though it costs $15 each way on both. Since Fung Wah hasn't disappointed me yet, I don't see any reason to try the other one out yet. I suppose I'm just waiting for the bus to catch on fire.

I went to Rockefeller Center first but did not do much there, even though NBC has its headquarters though, I believe. If I had gotten there earlier, perhaps I would have tried to get tickets for Conan O'Brien. But NBC is in third place for a reason, and I don't care to be on TV during the Today show, though a free concert might be nice, if I liked the singer or group. (How likely is that going to be?)

Here is the website for St. Patrick's Cathedral:


St. Jude, patron of impossible causes.

Should have used a flash or done something else for this one--you can't see the baldacchino.


Saints Bonaventure and Alphonsus Liguori.
(Saint Bonaventure University)
Illustrated biography of St. ALphonsus, from the Alphonsianum.


St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. Her American shrine.

St. Mary Magdalene... NOT! It's St. John the Evangelist! Dumb Duh Vinci Code.
(Butler's entry on St. John.)


The main doors of St. Patrick's.

A statue of Atlas I believe (unless it's Hercules).

What can I say about St. Patrick's? It's definitely a church to visit, and I like the exterior appearance... as for the interior... I can't stand the pews. It's too bad there such a permanent fixture in American Catholic churches. Most of you already know what my other preferences are, so I won't go into that again.

After St. Patrick's I headed over to Kinokuniya, which is right across the street from Rockefeller Center. I didn't buy anything there, which was good, though there were a couple of magazines that were interesting, including a souvenir magazine (2 issues) for Dae Jang Geum. I don't think the NYC store is as good as the one in San Francisco (located in Japantown). There I met up with Pete Takeshi and his two friends.

We ended up going to The Cottage over in Chelsea? for dinner--a Chinese restaurant for Americans. The quality was good, and the prix fixe menu (for 2) included wine. I had some that night, and it discouraged me from drinking the rest of the night or the weekend. All I got was a headache, nothing else. "The Asian flush" indeed. Afterwards, we went to a pub, where there was a rule on whispering. A decent pub, though the lighting could have been better. Perhaps Pete Takeshi can fill in with the details, including the name, which I've forgotten. (Pete tells me the name is Burp Castle... unique name eh?)

No chance to drop by Opus Dei headquarters this time around... I'd like to see one of the chapels in that building. Not sure if visitors are allowed without an appointment. (6abc's visit to the headquarters.) Fr. McCloskey's webpage.

1 comment:

Peter Whelan said...

We were in Gramercy, an old midtown neighborhood on the East Side in the vicinity of Union Square. (Chelsea is in the same street range, but on the west side of the city) There are some nice historical buildings there, but we ended up not having the time to do the usual walking tour.

I was thinking of swinging by Bar Jamon (an Argentinian tapas place with a wine'n'ham focus) but it was packed by the time we made our way over there. The Cottage (there's another one in the upper West Side somewhere) was good, with some seafood dumplings standing out most in my memory. (The crispy Szechuan beef is also a house specialty)

The pub was indeed called Burp Castle -- a hole in the wall off of Astor Place (home of Cooper Union and northern border of the East Village) and is monastery-themed. The last time I was there it was just a couple old clients and a bartender in a habit, with chant playing over the stereo, but the place was pretty busy on Friday night. All the same, a sedate and quiet place compared to the usual bar scene ruckus.