Saturday, July 15, 2006

St. Michael's Russian Catholic Chapel

After our visit to the Cloisters we caught the subway down to St. Michael's Russian Catholic Chapel, which is right next to old St. Patrick's Cathedral, just up the street from little Italy. (San Gennaro's Feast is very important there.)

One of my favorite places to visit in New York City, and for a good purpose too! What better activity than praying at Vespers or the Divine Liturgy? Alas, I only took one picture with a flash--should have used the flash more; I do not know if the chapel is open when there are no liturgical services, but I hope it is, since I will definitely be going there again to take some more pictures. I'm definitely leaning towards the East. I do not think it would be difficult for icons to be incorporated into the Latin rite in an organic manner; but what about the iconostasis?

I love the votive candles, especially since they are made of beeswax. They're much better than the votive candles typically found in a Latin church. One does not see them being used as often in suburban churches here in the United States, as far as I can tell, though it is the case that they are more common in ethnic churches. (Like Our Lady of Peace in Santa Clara.) There is a Melkite parish in San Jose, which I should visit if I ever move back there. (Along with the Byzantine parish in Los Gatos.)

No comments: