
Chris Patten, the last British governor of Hong Kong, stepped down in 1997. Apparently he's been a busy man since then. He is currently the chancellor of the University of Oxford.
The Chancellor of the University of Oxford: About Oxford ...

According to the wikipedia entry, "Patten was raised to the Peerage in 2005 as Baron Patten of Barnes, of Barnes in the London Borough of Richmond." I am guessing he is still a member of the Conservative party; what the implications of that are I am not sure.
He is supposedly a practicing Catholic (I recall reading a profile or interview mentioning that fact); confirmed it with this article, "Squaring for Change." Is he of the same caliber as St. Thomas More? I haven't seen any statements made by him that contradict Catholic teaching. Is that the best we can expect from the U.K.? I don't know if there are Catholic politicians in the U.K. who receive communion regularly but contradict Catholic teaching, like certain prominent American politicians. But I suspect the U.K. bishops would not say much if this did happen.
I wonder what his theories of education and politics are, if he has any. What sort of tradition does he think he embodies?
A certain tune was played on the bagpipes when he left the governor's mansion and the flag was lowered; I have not been able to find out the name of it, but it is a very nice piece. Now if I could only find a DVD that includes this event and the other official events of the handover.
Chris Patten Archive
Christopher Patten - Doctor of Laws
Interviews:
Conversation with Chris Patten, 1999: Hong Kong - cover page
BBC News Northern Ireland Understanding Northern Ireland
Fifth Anniversary of the Handover of Hong Kong - Interview with ...
Christopher F. Patten News - The New York Times
Speakers Corner - Chris Patten
Lord Chris Patten - International politics 101 :: ABC Western ...
The Hong Kong Handover
BBC on this day
BBC NEWS Special Report 1998 06/98 Hong Kong Handover ...
Footage of the handover ceremony on Google Video (in Cantonese)
Hong Kong 1997 Handover - Live on Internet
South China Morning Post Live coverage (videos available for purchase on cd-Rom)
The playing of the Chinese national anthem
http://www.rthk.org.hk/classicschannel/video/90s_0012.asx
No comments:
Post a Comment