Monday, February 26, 2007

Persuasion

Currently it is still my favorite Austen novel... I think it does share a similar theme to Love in the Time of Cholera, but the treatment of the theme is so different--can we say that Austen is an exemplar of neo-classicism, while Love in the Time of Cholera is definitely in the Romantic vein? And that does reveal different understandings of what love is...

Ciarán Hinds (Yahoo movies--alt) as Wentworth in the 1995 adaptation--


From Sony Pictures:




More stills from the movie.

I have high hopes for the new adaptation that is coming out this year, starring Sally Hawkins and Rupert Penry-Jones. We'll see which one is better. Having seen the teaser, some have commented that a proper lady would never have run through the streets--this is undoubtedly true, and I hope such anachronisms (inserted for the sake of the Romantic spirit--as I've said before, can a people dominated by feeling really understand the morals of the past and Austen on love?) are few and do not ruin what Austen is trying to convey.

Apparently the film adaptation of Love in the Time of Cholera is now in post-production. Photo Gallery.

No comments: