Sunday, December 09, 2007

Another wedding

Niece #1: "Mommy, do you like po po?"
MD: "Of course mommy likes po po. Do you like po po?"
Niece #1: "Yes, I like po po too."

Yesterday I attended the wedding of the daughter of one of my mom's friends, Mrs. C. We were a bit surprised that one of the priests (the daughter's spiritual director) mentioned the annulment the groom had to get in order to be married to her. The bride was really pretty , both in her gown and in her evening dress, though my mom didn't think the wedding dress was a good one for her body type. (The problem: she's too skinny, and the dress didn't flatter her figure enough but hid it instead, according to my mom.)

I'm not sure whom she reminds me of... her Cantonese isn't laan yam (lazy sound)... but for some reason I thought of Chris B.'s ex-girlfriend at Cal. But that can't be right... they don't look alike, and I don't think they sound alike either. I think the bride's Cantonese sounds rather good, so I wouldn't want to associate the two in any sort of way...

The groom has two teenaged children from his previous relationship. Only God knows how perfect this match is... apparently she thinks that she will be able to convert him? When she retires she would like to do charity work for the Church, and so her husband had to make a promise that he would follow her wherever she goes. Her spiritual director (and this was confirmed by her sister's best friend at the dinner table) said that she is rather picky, and he's been there the whole time while she's been looking for "the right one." The sister's best friend said the other guys were a bit too passive... but the groom was more active, and so she and the sister thought, "Hmm, he might have a chance."

The wedding was celebrated at Saint Lawrence the Martyr Church in Santa Clara. (Both Fr. Tony Mancuso and Fr. Mitchell had been pastors at this parish.) The stained glass windows were of the California missions. There was a mensa for an altar--that doesn't bother me so much, but there was no altar cloth! There are a lot of Filipinos at the parish, and the priest is [what seems to me to be] a [typical] Filipino [male]. As for the music used during the nuptial Mass... no comment. The bride's spiritual director is probably the member of a religious order, but I don't know which one. He is currently working in Jamaica? And "naturally," the parish wedding/liturgy coordinators and cantors were women...

My mom wasn't impressed with the food at Dynasty (Vallco); she didn't think much of the food at Dynasty (San Jose) when WillRx's reception was held there several years ago, either. For $1000... one would think the quality of the food would be much better, but... my mom thought everything had no taste, including the shark's fin soup. And the squab/pigeon/baak gaap was too salty. She didn't think the shrimp tasted fresh.

If my mom doesn't like the food, there must be something wrong with it. As I've written before, she's not very picky at all. One is paying more for the ambience than the food.

Our dinner was in VIP room #1. There were two other wedding banquets being held at Dynasty--one was a Vietnamese wedding (with a live band/music-they were rather loud). The other was a Chinese wedding, I believe, though the bride and groom had a placard in front of the rear banquet hall with some of their wedding photos, and in one of them they were dressed up in hanbok, which I thought was a bit odd, since they weren't Korean. I guess Korean wedding hanbok are in style for wedding photos? (Who did their wedding photos? Some local Asian/Chinese wedding photographer?) The bride was rather pretty, I wouldn't have minded crashing that banquet... The wedding guests seemed like typical Chinese [fobs]...

At our table was the 80 (90?)-something year-old bf of some Taiwanese woman. He reminded me a lot of my mother's loh tau, very social and very talkative, and having an opinion on everything, which he doesn't mind sharing. My mother said she wouldn't trust a guy like that, he might talk any woman into bed with him. heh. I don't think I would trust him either, but for different reasons...

It was difficult for the parents of the bride to get a precise headcount--people were saying they were going to go (and then cancelling, or just not showing up), and so on... bah. What's wrong with these people!

The students in my class are supposed to be memorizing May and November of Chicken Soup with Rice. And here I am drinking chicken soup with rice, my second soup of the day.

No comments: