Saturday, July 05, 2008

'Daddy' vs 'Papa'

I prefer the latter for myself (because of its presence in Latin and other Romance languages, and its link to pater), though it would appear that in Latin there is a similar-sounding diminutive for the former-- from Wiki: tata, tatae (m) -- but first declension! I have heard da in movies about the Irish, but I did not know that dad is Welsh.

Father is one of those words that has clear cognates in other Indo-European languages. (The replacement of p with f for the word appears to be common to all Germanic languages?)

(
Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Etymology)

Wiki for PIE and Indo-European languages
Proto-Indo-European Language Demonstration and Exploration Website
PROTO INDO-EUROPEAN
Indo-European and the Comparative Method
Indo-European Documentation Center: What is (Proto-)Indo-European?
Indo-European Language Family Tree
Lynch, Indo-European Language Family Tree
Indo-European Home Page
Indo-European Etymological Dictionary (IEED)
Wordgumbo: Comparative Indo-European
Indo-European Language Resources
UCLA Program in Indo-European Studies
Proto-Indo-European verbs conjugation
Journal of Indo-European Studies

Characterization of the Germanic Language Family

Fricatives!

No comments: