Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Fr. Z on the new uniforms of the Vatican's gendarmerie

Another everyday uniform which has given up the tie? (The tie is still retained for the dress uniform.) Since it is hot during the Summer, it is understandable that a short-sleeved shirt would be chosen, but I can see why some think it is too 'casual.' It is difficult to get rid of that association in one's mind. (Though there may be something about the appearance itself, too.)

Vatican: Gendarme Corps

The old uniform?





I think these are carabinieri but I'm not sure. I thought the uniforms of the carabinieri had a tab on the collar, like in this photo:


wiki: Law enforcement in Italy

Would it be accurate to say that men are more enthusiastic about wearing uniforms than women? There is a natural inclination among men to see their vocation as being part of a greater whole, or group, and working for the goals of that group, almost like being a tool, while women are more interpersonal, and identify with relationships to particular individuals?

Plus: A blog with a lot of old photos of Church life and people: Hallowed Ground
Catholic Press Photo

Mom: "Do you like Pope John Paul?"
Niece #1: "He's very pretty."

Edit:
International Hat Collection: European gendarmerie and police hats

No comments: