Thursday, October 09, 2008

The kindergarten classroom I subbed in yesterday was notable because of the fact that both of the teachers in the room are Catholics, and had Catholic items on their desks. The AM teacher Mrs. K is Chinese, too. (I was subbing for the PM teacher Ms. O; I'm not sure if my mom first became acquainted with her at school or at church.) Mrs. K mentioned that since I was familiar with Chinese I would be easily hired by Cupertino. That elicited a silent groan from me, since I know the district and its clientele, and I'm not impressed by either.

The other substitute is an Indian woman; she was wearing a shalwar kameez. (Some samples here. Pants can be feminine and therefore modest without violating tradition even if not traditional, so long as they are covered by something else, no? Other examples would be the ao dai and Qing-era Chinese clothing.) She's old-school, like my mom, when it comes to classroom management.

One of the substitutes in the adjoining K classroom must have lived in Oregon for a while--she was telling me how Oregon requires its substitutes to have certification (while California doesn't).
She was rather chatty during the AM recess. In some ways she resembled what I'd imagine an ex-flower child would be like at this point in time, but not quite. There was something about her demeanor. Maybe it's because she's from Oregon. She was quiet in the staff room during lunch. I'm not sure why.

Zoophonics used to be one of the more popular new phonics programs in the district--I don't see it much these days; I suppose much has changed within the district in 10 years. But it is being used in this kindergarten/school.

I talked a bit with the teacher I was subbing for--she had asked me to sub for her last week, but I was unable to because I was waiting for the district office to recognize the renewal of my credential. Of course she asked me if I was thinking of becoming a teacher. I told her I was thinking about it. But I really doubt I'd become an elementary school teacher.

So what are my options? What I've thought about so far--
1. Teaching at a high school. But as I've said time and time again, the local Catholic high schools probably would not be welcoming of an orthodox Catholic seeking to defend the Catholic intellectual tradition. Perhaps it is possible to teach at an orthodox Catholic elementary school--I might even consider teaching 5th or 6th grade, if the students were well-behaved.

I suppose teaching in a Great Books program is not wholly out of the question. If the students already have some adherence to the tradition. If only this could be done at a Catholic secondary school, but one cannot assume that the students (or the faculty and administration for that matter) hold the same principles or truths.

2. Becoming an editor of some sort. A grad degree in the 'humanities' doesn't really qualify one for much else, besides teaching, editing, and writing?

3. Working for a worthwhile non-profit organization or an independent political party.
Raising public awareness about peak-oil, natural resources, and relocalization seems worthwhile and noble. It could also be an entry-point for politics. While there is a "Training for Transition" course to be held in SF in December, I don't know of any local Transition Town efforts. (There are stirrings in LA, apparently.)

Maybe I should look into becoming a community organizer. Hah.

4. Youth ministry. It's not a 'job,' and would require intensive spiritual preparation. How does one help teenagers become more interested in the faith? Watcher has had difficulties in the past with teens who have grown up with plenty of material comforts. Forming teenagers is not easy, especially when asceticism is an integral part of Catholic spirituality. "That's a-s-c-e-t-i-s-m."

There are risks though--the liability of being accused of misconduct or sexual harassment should worry any male considering working in an environment filled with young women. (Though I suppose this is true of any workplace, not just schools and churches.) Would I be able to put up with teenagers? I don't think I'm Don Bosco...

The pay for being a youth minister isn't that good, as far as I know--I doubt it would be enough to support a family here in the Bay Area. I was a bit surprised to hear how much priests for the diocese of San Jose get paid. As good as or better than entry-level engineers.

5. Costco. While it may be a better employer than Walmart, it's not perfect, in so far as it has a questionable sales strategy.

Working for the Federal Government is not an option, just as the NG isn't a possibility. I see it as part of the problem, not the solution, though I may not go as far as Albert Jay Nock or some libertarians or anarchists.

I suppose one could analyze to distinguish between material and formal cooperation with evil before ruling it out completely. What about working for corporations, which have no accountability? Can one really know the effects or impact of one's actions, or that of the group or organization of which one is a member? For a large organization it seems impossible to know what the group is doing in its own name. Even if there is a analogy with participating in a just war--one would have to look at whether the National government or a corporation is promoting the common good, or if they are merely promoting the unrestrained appetites of a few or of the many.

Any other suggestions?

The district has hired some teachers from Spain in the past for the ESL classes. Did they send someone all the way to Spain to scout for teacher? The teacher for whom I was subbing is one of them. It reminds me of "Spanish Ladies" from Master and Commander...

Master and Commander - Spanish Ladies


Farewell and Adieu


I do like their accent, the teachers that I have met--their manner of speaking sounds quite mature, in comparison with a lot of American women, who sound like they've been arrested in adolescence. (Alas, this describes many of the callers to Dr. Laura.)

Sarge, you might find this interesting, but I don't think you have access to Hulu videos. I watched the first episode of season 2--I will try to catch the other episodes when I have some time. The show originally aired on Fox Reality. I don't know what to make of the LASD. How did some of the candidates get admitted? Some were clearly lacking self-knowledge. How many were admitted simply because of PC considerations? (SM Hutchens on the heresy of egalitarianism.) I can't wait until they get to the episodes dealing with shooting and hand-to-hand combat.

It may be that I wouldn't pass muster--though I do wonder if the military-style drilling is really necessary. Could stressful conditions not be created in some other way? Maybe not. I personally wouldn't like being shouted at; does it really motivate one to move fast and practice thinking calmly in such a situation? Shouldn't people be able to do this without having someone shouting at them? I suppose it's a matter of assuming everyone is at the same lowest level, and building from there, but it's not a very efficient way of handling it. Then there is the question of being able to handle the monotony of uneventful patrols...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

6. Audition for a part as an actor in the adult film industry.
-R. Jeremy