
Hulu: Speed and Angels
A documentary about aspiring Tomcat drivers--it might appeal to those of us in the Top Gun generation (or who grew up with Robotech/Macross and its VF1). What boy didn't want to become a Navy fighter pilot after watching that movie? I dreamt about it for a while. But as I've grown out of the 2GW mindset I've been favoring light infantry more and more.
As women have been allowed to become naval aviators for quite some time, at least one is featured in the documentary. Aside from the problems that any branch of the armed forces faces when women are thrown together with men, one wonders what their effectiveness in dogfighting (or attacking) would be. Bombing targets that can't shoot back or lack adequate air defense does not really give sufficient proof of capability. It's been a long time since Russian female pilots engaged in aerial combat (or flew attack missions) during World War II.
wiki: United States Navy Fighter Weapons School
MMM page on the VF1A
CFPA Chick Fighter Pilot Association
No comments:
Post a Comment