On the drive down to SLO on Saturday morning, I heard the radio broadcast of The World Over on IHR. On the first part of the show, Mr. Arroyo had two Legionary priests as guests, one of them was moral theologian Fr. Thomas Williams, LC. I didn't catch the name of the second one. Oh wait--it was frequent Fox News guest, Fr. Jonathan Morris, LC. Mr. Arroyo mentioned that Germain Grisez had written an open letter to the Legionaries, so I was interested in reading the whole thing. Here it is, at American Papist (link via Fumare).
I'm looking at the EWTN archive, and I don't think that episode has been uploaded. Once it has been uploaded, I'll put the link up. Both Legionary priests were saying that the order will have to discern its charism, with the guidance of the Holy See. They also claimed that the writings of Fr. Macial had been beneficial to them. Apparently they think those can still be salvaged. I think they may be too optimistic about the writings; I tend to agree with those who think that even if the order is not surpressed, it will have to be reconstituted or re-formed in some significant way--the role of the founder in determining an order's charism is just too great.
Several years ago Amy Welborn reviewed a book that covered the history of some order that had to be suppressed because of the activities of its founder. I'm trying to find the title of that book now...
Edit. Here is the post with the links pertaining to Fallen Order...
Amy Welborn: Way, Truth and Life
No comments:
Post a Comment