NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2009 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to turn back discrimination and prejudice everywhere it exists.The Presidential Proclamation
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.
BARACK OBAMA
"By virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States" -- which means what, exactly? The imperial presidency has done silly stuff before, but this is an assault on traditional mores. Alas, not a few public schools will probably follow the example of Obama and officially recognize June as LGBT month. Some colleges and universities will do so, as well. Any more examples that the culture wars have been lost, at the national level?
No comments:
Post a Comment