Some comments to Dr. Wilson's latest have lead me to think about the accent(s) I heard this past week. Mr. Daniel Maxwell refers to the "the ‘generic’ Southern accent that I hear spoken by Kentuckians and Tennesseans." I couldn't distinguish between any of the accents that I heard in Western Kentucky and Nashville -- there was the "typical" drawl, with the elongated vowels and syllables -- the one associated with a lack of sophistication? I couldn't help but think that after encountering certain people. But I liked the sound of the judge's speech.
Dr. Wilson (naturally?) holds the Carolinian accent in high esteem. What then, of the loss of non-rhotic Southern accents? I have to say that I prefer the sounding of the r.
Southern American English
A Xanga post about the North Carolinian dialect.
Shelby Foote:
YouTube - Southern Accent pt. 2 (Part 1)
It's been a while since I've heard from LAB, who is originally from... I want to say Tennessee. She has a pleasant accent, coupled with a soft voice. I'll attempt sending an e-mail.
No comments:
Post a Comment