
Chipotle, Baja Fresh, El Pollo Loco--would it suffice to eliminate the rice and beans to make their fare primal diet-friendly?
Chipotle has been praised (especially by Rod Dreher) for going local with respect to obtaining chicken. (But it hasn't done away with long supply chains, has it?) I've been to Chipotle once, so I don't know if I could say its food is better than that of Baja Fresh. I'd go to El Pollo Loco more often if it weren't so expensive, but for the grilled chicken primarily. I think its burritos are too small for the price. Boca Grande has decent burritos for a restaurant chain, but I've seen Boca Grande only in Boston. The Mexican fast-food chains seem to be popping up everywhere. (I've seen plenty of Baja Fresh restaurants in Boston.) But I don't think they can compare to the locally-owned chains in Phoenix, for example.
Aqui Cal-Mex Grill claims to use organic ingredients, but is the meal worth the price? I don't know if it is owned by the same person who operated Harvest, but the food at Harvest (especially the chicken) could be dry at times. What are the good Mexican full-service restaurants in the area? (Or Puerto Rican or Cuban restaurants, for that matter. Columbian? (Last week I walked by an Argentinian rodizio in Paducah. How different is Argentinian rodizio from the Brazilian version?) Casa Vicky's is good, but that is in San Jose.
I wouldn't say that good Mexican food is the least objectionable aspect to Mexifornia, but it comes close. (The purported vibrant Roman Catholic orthopraxis of Mexican immigrants remains to be confirmed.) Still, how healthy is authentic Mexican food, compared with the standard American diet?
I hope KK makes Mexican food for the MD's baby shower, with a lot of leftovers... haha.
No comments:
Post a Comment