
I gave into my craving for In and Out yesterday after work. While I was at the restaurant I saw two elderly Asian gentlemen wearing Nike hats. Who would want to wear In and Out apparel, other than people who work there (and only while at work or commuting to or from the workplace or at company functions)? I don't think the Uhmerican desire to be branded would go to such an extreme, would it?
As an aside, my reaction to In and Out has not changed since the last couple of times I was there. The first hamburger I ate yesterday was satisfying, but the second not so much. The fountain drinks taste disgusting--there is nothing natural about the flavor, and the HFCS isn't pleasing. $6.30 plus tax for the double double combo is just too much, and a burger done protein style may be healthier but it makes you realize that $3.30 for a burger is a bit crazy, especially if you could make a better one at home.
By the way, the latest episode of Kitchen Nightmares, the first two-parter, is set at a burger restaurant down in SoCal. How did Gordon Ramsay really feel about the family? Does he regret putting such dysfunction on display in front of a camera, for the sake of a television show? Even if footage is edited to exaggerated, the family does seem to have problems, and one can't help but feel pity for the son. A certain letter of the Greek alphabet comes to mind. And who is maintaining the website -- currently the url opens up to a pdf file of the menu. It is also interesting to note who else is working in the restaurants featured in the show.
In general, the burgers I have been making with the ground beef from WF have been decent, but I should really season them more. I doubt I'll ever be that good of a cook, but my kitchen abilities do make a useful standard for judging restaurants. I am looking forward to cooking at least one turkey in the next couple of weeks. I should get a cheap Dutch oven, maybe at the Red store, as opposed to the Blue store (or Sears or JCPenney) - but are these large enough for a turkey? Forget Macy's or Pottery Barn.
Will I go to an In and Out again? If I am hungry and don't have many options. But it's just not good enough to be a treat for a cheat meal. Maybe I'll get a milkshake next time. It's been a while since I've bought any Hansen's. Not since the end of last year? At least the chip craving has temporarily subsided.
Someone on FB recommended Roam Burgers in SF; are there a ny good burger places in or near Pleasanton? The April Verch concert is this weekend. True Burger is a bit far; same with Crepevine. I've been to the Nations in Brentwood, when I was there for a ride-along, no? The burger at the restaurant I visited, whatever it was, was not that good - it tasted burnt. I see Crepevine has other restaurants in Burlingame and Palo Alto - something to keep in mind next time I'm in those areas trying to think of a restaurant.
Anyway, back to the topic of branding.I picked up a Cal beanie at the campus student store earlier this year; something I hadn't really done before for myself. Was it out of school pride or nostalgia, or just to mark myself as someone connected to the school? Not that branded clothing would make one less of a loser. Besides there are plenty of people who wear attire for schools with which they have no actual association except their like of the school (or the school's sports team); how is anyone going to know for sure you went to the school unless they see your transcript? How much does the university make from CAL products? Browsing through the selection of hats, I see that much of the headwear is made by Nike. Nike apparently is a popular company for the production of college branded gear?
If I were to get another beanie, i'd be nice to get one with a crest or shield. There is something appealing about emblems, coat of arms and the like - men want to be a part of a group and be identified as such, though it may not be so necessary that they all wear the same clothing or identifying markers. A flag which they follow or around which they rally would be sufficient. Group identity is necessary for the formation of an esprit de corps.
The TAD beanie doesn't have the company logo, as far as I can see. Poseur-wear with the American flag is fine, since I don't see that often here in California, and I don't think other people know that this is the stuff marketed to operators, contractors, ex-military and the like. Does anyone make a cap with the Bonnie Blue Flag on it? Reggie Matthews might do a special order. A symbol for a natural or civic association is so much better than one for a company. (Is Behemoth U. more of a company than a cultural institution?)
April Verch:
I hope her newest CD will be available for sale on Saturday.
More videos after the jump...
No comments:
Post a Comment