Monday, December 26, 2011

Items of Interest, 26 December 2011

Thomas Fleming, America's Term-Limit Monarchy

Marion Montgomery passed away in November.

Blue Collar Intellectuals by Daniel J. Flynn
Taxing Our Way to Prosperity by Thomas Pauken

Another interview with John Michael Greer, primarily on the end of the world at Extraenvironmentalist (mp3).

Re: California - Vox Populi: Failling to Notice the Obvious
There have been a lot of migrations within the U.S., but this part of the state is the best representative of the lack of culture and community and the continued displacement of people that results when economic advantage is the priority? Michael Shedlock - Businesses Exit California and Illinois; Tax and Destroy Policies of Governors Quinn and Brown; Unemployment Rates By State. What would happen if the state were to become more friendly towards business with alternate forms of organization - workers co-ops, and the like?

Ginna interviews Woody Tasch – Founder of SlowMoney


Brian Kaller, Father Christmas, homesteader (EB)

Identity Crisis (EB)
I’m a sharecropper, organic gardener, and milker of goats, as well as a democrat, a republican, a liberal, a conservative, a radical, an idealist, a pragmatist, a teacher, a mentor, a scientist, a writer, a skeptic, a scholar, a cheese-maker, a son, a brother, a husband, a lover, and a human animal. I’m comfortable with my beliefs and personal philosophy. I’ve thought deeply about my tiny place in this enormous universe, and I’ve come to value humility over hubris. And still I’m having an identity crisis. A crisis of confidence. An ego-crushing moment. The longer the industrial economy lasts, the more my identify is pummeled, along with my hope for the living planet. Every day under the rule of Athena drives me further into despair. It’s as if my ego were a proxy for the planetary rate of extinction.

Considering the effort I’ve put into defining myself and my place in the universe, I can only imagine the difficulty ahead for the typical American drone. He values his imperial role and fails to recognize the empire for what it is. He gets his news from the television and affiliated media outlets and fails to recognize that form of propaganda for what it is. His sense of entitlement is exceeded only by his ignorance of the role nature plays in his survival. And yet, he’s ahead of me.

After all, unlike the American drone, I’m clueless about what to do. I’ve invested heavily in a reasonably sane set of living arrangements, only to have nature call me further down her path. I’m attempting to serve as a witness, and occasionally a warrior, as the living planet tries to survive the insults of industry. I’m trying to show another — hence, contrarian — way, for a world gone mad. And in return, I’m unappreciated as never before in memory (including even my final decade at the university as viewed through the lens of my dean and department head).

Christmas with No Presents? by Colin Beavan

Let's Unstuff the Holidays by Fran Korten

Zenit: Pope's Urbi et Orbi Address
"Only the God Who Is Love, and the Love Which Is God, Could Choose to Save Us in This Way"

Let us think today about all the Christians who give their life for their faith, says pope

China: As Wukan celebrates and Haimen fights, Guangdong becomes a land of protests

No comments: