Thursday, May 31, 2012

Went to AS for lunch today as ah Fai was treating for a special occasion. While the food was top quality, I have to say that in some ways I take after my mother. I couldn't appreciate the distinction sufficiently to pay for it regularly. How difficult can it be to learn how to grill a steak well?

At a nearby table was a group of Japanese women - housewives? No wedding bands, but it's not really their tradition, and I don't think you are likely to find Japanese women of that age group single in SV, self-supporting, and able to take lunches at AS. Some of the derision heaped upon stay-at-home wives by certain distrungled men is understandable. Is there an equitable division of labor in such cases? Why shouldn't feminists be expected to support themselves and contribute 50% to the expenses of purchasing a house (and paying interest for home loan) or paying rent?

I found out that the pastry chef who was there last year had been dismissed. She seemed to be a nice, meek Asian woman (more like a girl). I felt sorry for her, even if the restaurant business is a demanding one. Still, pastries on the whole are rather unhealthy? Even if one indulges in them rather infrequently, they are a luxury food.

No comments: