The Church of the Holy Trinity in Yanshui, Taiwan. pic.twitter.com/89aTbmvuBr
— Fʀ. A. J. Dᴀᴍᴀsᴜs Sᴄʜʀᴇɴᴋ (@frajds) August 16, 2020
I thought I had a post with thoughts on inculturating Christianity in China, referring to the Opus Dei center in Hong Kong and the Hong Kong Roman Catholic seminary.
I will have to see if I can find it later.
My thoughts haven't changed; while I appreciate the efforts to depict Christ and His Mother, etc. as ethnic Chinese in order to get the message of the Incarnation across and to make Christianity more acceptable to Chinese, I think in the long run it isn't such a good idea. Depicting Christ as a Jew, as the Byzantines typically do based on one received miraculous image or another, seems to be a better idea, and there is nothing wrong with having an iconographic tradition that is set like that (to some standards of realism) while maintaining other architectural and artistic features in the cultural traditions of another group.
No comments:
Post a Comment