Sunday, October 01, 2006

An old article on the Hwang Jin I projects

here

Which reminds me... I wonder if the two actresses will be too skinny... did the Chosun ideal beauty have a healthier weight?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never commented here before, which I came to know through Katholik Shinja/The Western Confucian. To answer your question, the ideal Korean woman's figure has changed rapidly over the past fifty years. I've read several articles in the press during my many years here in Korea that chart the descent from short and slightly plump to tall and anorexic. I can only imagine the ideal in the time of the Choson dynasty! So yes, those women starring in historical dramas are probably much too tall and thin to be authentic.

papabear said...

Welcome Adam! Thanks for the info--neither SHG nor HJW are that tall, and I don't think they appear as starved for food as some other Korean celebrities, but perhaps a drama that was more realistic in reflecting the ideals of other eras would do something to counteract the unhealthy body image held in Korean society today.