Monday, October 02, 2006

Ugh. The Bachelor.

This season's The Bachelor is Lorenzo Borghese, and will be taking place in Rome. He is a member of the famous Borghese family. Italian nobility. Other members of the family include Pope Paul V. Perhaps TFP should be supporting him in his quest for a wife (and maybe giving him a catechism lesson or two).

Some photos. The official website. I'm not going to post any pics of the bachelor. Eh, maybe one, for the Lady Downstairs:


You know a "show for chicks" is bad if the women on The View are dissing it. Everything that is wrong with American reality tv, the television industry, corporations, contemporary romantic ideals, what passes acceptable behavior and comportment for Amercan men and women, their expectations and desires--the series exemplifies it all.

I think if I were being interrogated, showing The Bachelor, Grey's Anatomy, and Sex and the City continuously would be enough to make me crack. (Or commit suicide.)

I hope the series isn't being shown in other parts of the world--it would be enough to incited hatred and envy (who wouldn't get the idea that Americans are pampered and spoiled from watching American TV?), and could even be a good tool to recruit jihadists.

'Nuff said.

*edit* I find it humorous watching the women walking across the driveway (the surface of which is composed of small, loose rocks) in high heels...

I don't think there are any non-caucasian women this time around--perhaps the creators of the show finally learned their lesson, since they rarely make it beyond the second show, and most are eliminated during the first, as far as I know...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the photo, PB. Now I know what I am missing by not having a TV. Well, I think the Borghese is really cute and I would not say no in principle to Italian aristocracy. I wonder how fast white fuzzy-haired academic women would be eliminated? Your comment that non-white women are eliminated very quickly was very interesting. Are the bachelors always white? I wonder if people do inherently prefer to marry people of their own race. My guess is yes, but is that culpable racism if it is inherent? At BC there is going to be a discussion of "Is there Racism at BC?" I rolled my eyes at the banner, but then I remembered the guy who told our class his mother would disown him if he married a White Girl. Of course, he wasn't being racist, but was his mother? But then, if you "can't be racist against White People", was she racist because she didn't even consider for a second that he might marry a Black or Latina (or South Asian) Girl?

Anyway, if we have already eliminate systemic racism in institutions like BC and prosecute hate crimes with severity, do we really need to obsess about what certain people may or may not be secretly thinking or the odd unfriendly comment? Some BC workman sang "Ebony and Ivory" as I walked by. I spent a half hour puzzling over whether this was a racial comment suggesting that I was "half-Black", or was the guy just singing? Half an hour was more than the question deserved.

By the way, if "you can't be racist against White People", doesn't that accord some sort of privilege to white people? I know you don't say "ycbraWP", PB, but it is an interesting question.

papabear said...

All the bachelors have been caucasians.

And I don't think it is racist to prefer someone of similar appearance, though it would be better if the justification were deeper (cultural affinites).

Disowning one's child is going a bit far. Still, I don't know what her reason is, and if it's a good one. It's one thing to counsel one's children of the substantial cultural differences that will be obstacles to harmony and can be divisive when it comes to the raising of the children.

As for prosecuting people for purely thought crimes, that's going too far and intrinsically unjust.

Which reminds me of how much I hate the PC atmosphere over at the BBC.

papabear said...

In an episode of Spooks from the 4th season, MI-5 was tasked with destroying a nativist party called the British Way. (I suppose comparisons can and have been drawn to the BNP.) Of course the top figures of the British Way were racists. Is this the case with the BNP? I have no idea. But of course, MI-5 is staffed with open-minded tolerant liberals who saw the British Way as a threat to the system and liberal ideals, and therefore it had to be put out of business, even if in an underhanded (and probably illegal) manner.

Anonymous said...

Well, the guy's mum (who lives in the USA, btw) didn't know any White Girls, she just thought she knew all there was to know about WGs from TV and through gossiping with the neighbours. Oh, my classmate did offer a real-life disaster story about his fellow X who married a WG who was demanding and disappointed that they could not have a fancy lifestyle and eventually left him. I found myself having to point out that not all WGs are like that. But I agree that if you come from a hardworking immigrant background, it might be a good idea to marry someone also from a hardworking immigrant background and not a "prince" or "princess", of whatever race. Me, it is about what food I can cook. I could probably rival some mother-in-law's Yorkshire pudding, but no way will I ever be able to manage better rice, etc. Oh, other students at BC/Weston have made fun of the way White People make rice. Of course, a lot of WP eat Minute Rice, which I can see justifying hilarity, esp. if there is no such thing as racism against White People.

I have never seen Spooks, and I only know a tiny little bit about the BNP. I once visited their website. They seem to be about keeping England English, Scotland Scottish, and maybe Wales Welsh.

Having just read about some Muslim crazy threatening an injured British soldier in an English hospital for having been in Afghanistan, I have some sympathy for the hated BNP. I believe in his Perelandia series, C.S. Lewis worries about England becoming "Britain". And with bizarre movements to get rid of St. George as patron saint of England and to remove the English flag from English places (because of the cross), I am wondering if there "will always be an England" after all.

This is a strange new world in which ethnicity is having increasingly little to do with the place where you were born. And where English soldiers find themselves afraid to go home to England to have their wounds attended to. They'd rather go to the American military hospital in Germany. I wonder what Richard the Lion-hearted would make of that! Heck, I wonder what Winston Churchill would make of that!