Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The vocation of males

Domenico Bettinelli talks about the Guardian Instinct, referring to posts by the Anchoress and Genevieve Kineke.

Mr. Bettinelli comments:

When we were first married, Melanie used to kid me about my paranoia. Whenever we went out for evening walks, I always walked on the street side of the sidewalk. I carefully examined parked cars before we passed them to make sure no one was in them. I looked into dark shadows and avoided passing alleyways if possible. In restaurants, I always try to sit facing the door. Before bed or before going out, I check all the doors and windows. I always make sure Melanie has her cell phone when she goes out. I’m constantly imagining disaster scenarios and how I should react, e.g. if a fire started in this building how would I get my family out? If someone started shooting up this place, how would I protect my family?

It’s not paranoia. It is the protective guardian instinct that is built into every man. We are hardwired to be ready to protect and even give our lives if necessary when danger approaches.
Just a small quibble with this:
This was the sin of Adam: When danger approached Eve, he did not throw himself in front of her to defend her against the deadly serpent, but stood by while she was seduced.
I believe this is the problematic interpretation offered by Scott Hahn in A Father Who keeps His Promises. Robert Sungenis responds to Dr. Hahn (an article written for The Remnant). NOR.

Understanding Marriage through Holy Communion: Rediscovering the Essential Meaning of Sexual Love

1 comment:

Domenico Bettinelli said...

I'll take Scott Hahn over Robert Sungenis or NOR as a reliable Catholic theologian any day.