As I was leaving school today, I saw the special day class? teacher (I forgot what the new name for special ed is) talking with the brunette 3rd grade teacher. The 3rd grade teacher was laughing quite openly. I walked out the gate and then I heard the SDC teacher say something--from what she said afterwards ("This is a school.") and from what I saw next, some 20-something Hispanic male riding a bike through the school corridors, I figured she must have told him to get off the bike. His response each time was, "Shut your mouth," and the next two times he added, "Stupid b*tch."
I suppose in the Urban Dictionary there is a word that better names a somewhat young anti-social Hispanic male who's probably seen some jail time and has attitude. I saw him ride off but then he double-backed, so I was worried he might say something else or worse, so I got out of my car and started walking back to school. But he continued riding his bike in the opposite direction. I don't know if the teachers saw him, but I hope they stay alert. What would an appropriate reaction to his words be, in a different culture and society, such as the South? I don't think it would be tolerated, but what would be done about it?
I did wonder what I would do if he took it to the next level though... the office would probably call the police promptly, but in the meantime?
There's something to be said perhaps for unofficial punishments or private justice in cases like this, but in a fragmented megapolis tolerance or turning a blind eye is probably the "best" response--with people living apart from their family and peer groups, who is going to watch your back if something happens to you?
Today was the first day of STAR testing. Mrs. M, who is an intervention specialist, was proctoring the exam, but since she had taught at the lower grade level and administered exams like this before, I asked her to be the examiner (read the directions and such). She also offered to help me get the class to quiet down, and she was very effective. There's no way I could get the class to quiet down like that. I don't know if it's because she's a new person in the classroom but speaks with authority, or if it's something else. I suspect that the children have gotten to me raising my voice, so that is no longer an effective way to get their attention. I'm looking forward to having her administer the test for this week, at least. In the meantime I'll see if I can pick up any pointers. Part of the problem is that I've lost patience with the class, and so emotions easily arise.
No comments:
Post a Comment