Sunday, April 27, 2008

There was a different priest celebrating Mass today at St. Thomas Aquinas--someone who was probably ordained before Vatican II. If so, he may have been caught up with the 'spirit,' since he was ad-libbing many of the texts. For example, he changed the English translation of Dominus vobiscum to "The Lord is with you."

Looks like there is a hope for the diocese of Haarlem.

While there is something to be said about the visual appeal of a cassock and surplice [and stole for priests], I don't see anything wrong with a cassock and alb, either. I know certain FSSP priests in Australia prefer the long "Anglican" surplice, but if one is going to wear a surplice that long, one could just as well wear an alb. Though albs that are oversized and hence 'puffy' looking (one sees these on altar servers all the time) should probably be avoided. (Surplices that are too short are wrong as well, though in my eyes they still look better than ones that are too long.)

I don't think I'll see a priest around here wearing a surplice any time soon. I don't think the seminarians at St. Patrick's wear a surplice--they may have to show up in clericals, but even that may not be required. Over at St. John's the seminarians were always in their clericals when engaged in official activities at the seminary. But no surplices there either.

I won't get into the question of lace for surplices yet. Not that my opinion really matters. haha.

What is the male to female ratio for the altar servers at St. Joseph of Cupertino now?

No comments: