Saturday, June 07, 2008

Via Pete Takeshi, a review of Julianne Hough's new album. I think it's spot on.

"That Song in My Head" is by far the best song here, but it's not nearly the memorable opening salvo that Yearwood's "She's In Love with the Boy" or Hill's "Wild One" were. "You You You," with its awkward word repetitions ("It's insane sane sane/But I'd stand in front of a train train train/Just to hold your hand in the pourin' rain rain rain" is supposed to pass for a hook) is damn near unlistenable, but it's preferable to the clichéd purity-ring pap of "Jimmy Ray McGee" and the self-help drivel of "Help Me Help You" and "Love Yourself." Hough really does try to sell every word of this hokum, but it's all just so slight and so juvenile—even by the standards of a genre that's currently agog over the supposed songwriting talents of another teenage girl—that it's hard to stomach or take seriously. With maturity, Hough may develop better taste in material that would allow her to record an album that's actually as likable as she is.

And the reviewer is someone else who think Taylor Swift's songwriting talent is overrated--at least I'm not alone. That she receives praise for her 'originality,' shows how far the country music industry has gone down, I think.

No comments: