Before I dropped Watcher off at the airport this morning, I took him to Holy Martyrs Korean Catholic Church, over in Sunnyvale. (He likes the convenience of BART, and says the subway in LA doesn't compare.) Everything was in Korean, so naturally I didn't understand the words, though I knew which parts of the Mass were which, and when certain prayers were being said, or the Words of Consecration.
(Still, in an age of print, I do not think it is too high of an ideal for the laity of the Roman rite to know the ordinary parts of the Mass in Latin. As I've said before, I can see why vernacular might be used in certain parts for the sake of the laity. I am puzzled why Fr. Taft thinks the use of hieratic or sacred language in the vernacular is not necessary--I would think that someone who has studied the Byzantine rite would have a different opinion. Fr. Bouyer and Fr. Schmemann, as far as I know, did not advocate the use of an ordinary vernacular in the liturgy. Are there some in the preconciliar liturgical movement who did?)
The priest was wearing a green chasuble that was made of gauze-like material--it reminded me of the outer (black) garment that Chinese officials would wear--that same sort of diaphanous material, whatever it was. Did the chasuble come from Korea, or did it originate here in the U.S.? The priest was wearing a cassock as well, though I am thinking this is just for the liturgy.
He was also hearing confessions before Mass! Wonderful!
The liturgical music was ok, better than what one might here in an English-speaking parish here in the diocese. The alleluia did sound a bit strange when they were rehearsing it before Mass--almost like that music you might here in a gothic horror movie. But it didn't sound the same when they were singing it during the liturgy. Did they switch? Or was I just imagining the difference?
There were maybe 4 or 5 women wearing chapel veils. The 10:30 Mass was another "dead-end," with lots of middle-aged people and greyheads, though Watcher commented, "They have daughters." Hah. Perhaps he would have more of an opportunity to meet young ladies at the 1:00 Mass. (There were a few young families at Mass, some of whom were in the 'cry room.')
What else? Of course, I didn't understand the homily since it was in Korean. The priest was talking about love (sarang), and he even asked the faithful to make a heart with their arms. Not sure if that was a pop culture reference or something else.
I wouldn't go back there without Watcher. I would feel just a bit out of place by myself. Haha.
No kneeling for the consecration. I believe they kneel in Korea. Not sure about LA. Is it because the church doesn't have kneelers? Or because they're following the instructions of the bishop?
I can see why the parish has produced vocations. (Unlike, say, the Chinese community.) I don't know which order the nuns are in, but there were 3 or 4 serving as (extraordinary) Eucharistic ministers, plus some men in cassocks and surplices. Perhaps the community could use a permanent deacon or two. The church itself looks like a converted commercial building, but there are probably those who could use their talents to improve the appearance of sacred space. I didn't see many signs of inculturation (besides the use of a gong at the consecration and the vernacular) -- no Korean sacred art, everything seemed rather Western.
Does the community stick around after Mass for coffee (or tea)? (We had to leave after Communion so Watcher could catch his plane.)
Apparently the construction on the departure side of terminal A at the SJ airport is done? When I drove my mom's acquaintance (the cv, consecrated virgin) to the airport a couple of weeks ago, it was closed off, and I had to drive up to the "international terminal" to drop her off.
Edit. Watcher says they have see-through chasubles down in LA as well. A Korean contribution to the vestment tradition? They might be suitable in hot climates. But I think some traditionalists would have a problem with the material not being fine enough.
1 comment:
Interesting. It sounds like a typical mass here in Korea, with the see-through chasubles, cassocks, and no kneeling during the consecration. I expereinced my first kneeling at the consecration here this past Sunday:
http://orientem.blogspot.com/2008/08/christ-haunted-eumseong-county.html
Post a Comment