I am waiting for my sisters--we are supposed to be going to Bombay Garden for dinner, but they are at Valley Fair right now, and they will be 'getting their eyebrows done.' The things women do to themselves... do men really care? The human race has managed to reproduce itself, even though the majority of women could not afford expensive cosmetics or procedures or mirrors for much of human history... one could say men have a rather 'high' tolerance level, but I think the plain truth is that normal guys don't really care that much. (Now there's a interdisciplinary work waiting to be written, if it hasn't been already--the cultural, psychological, and ethical impact of the invention of the mirror.)
Fortunately most parents don't start their daughters on this path when they are young. At least I think I am seeing natural eyebrows on the 1st grade girls at school... one of the 2nd graders had eyebrows in December last year, but when I saw her again in January, I knew something had changed about her face, but I couldn't identify it at first... some of her eyebrow hair had disappeared, but I don't know what the cause was. (As if I would ask.)
When a certain student expressed her desire not to eat anything again today, the first thought in my mind was that she had an eating disorder. What a world. She eventually ate macaroni and cheese, but not all of it, and part of a banana. But she didn't want to get full. Does she get sick when she gets full? Or is there something else behind her anxiety?
Maybe I will run into some sort of comparison photo that proves me wrong, but my guess is that a natural ('untouched') face has certain advantages over an unmade face that has become habituated to makeup and has had certain features sculptured.
You can guess what I think about removing eyebrow hair (permanently) and replacing it with a tattoo...
No comments:
Post a Comment