Sunday, February 13, 2011

"The Best of Eric Taylor"


(source)

The best of Coach Taylor, when he's acting as Coach at least. His family life is a different story--and the series finale (which I haven't seen) seems to confirm my judgment of him as a character and the story of FNL as a whole--Coach is a beta when it comes to dealing with his wife and worse with respect to his children, and the show, despite being set in Texas, advances Hollywood's values, not the conservative values of middle America. Only in the minds of those working in Hollywood can a woman "have it all." While I have enjoyed watching the interaction between coach and his players, I disagree with those critics who believe the show to be so great -- they're wrong, because they agree with the show's values. (They also love the drama, which is all right, but must be subordinate to the moral framework of the story.)

Time blog post about the series finale (contains spoilers).

No comments: