Today there was a special Ching Ming Mass sponsored by the SJCCC at Gate of Heaven Cemetery.
The chapel at the cemetery is all right; the interior resembles colonial Spanish architecture. Behind the altar is a sculpture of the resurrected Christ, which was modern but ok; still, there is no crucifix. Having both would be ok, if they matched, unless there is a prohibition against having the depiction of the resurrected or glorified Christ. (And there isn't.) The Stations of the Cross are simple, and only Christ is depicted. The added benefit of the sculpture behind the altar is that it can serve as the final station? I should take some photos next time I am there. The monthly Mass for the dead is next Saturday.
At the end of the liturgy was a rite for the veneration of ancestors. The priest offered incense, flowers, and wine. (No comment about the lay ministers present.) The liturgy was a mix of the good and bad in contemporary Mandarin Chinese liturgical worship. I've attended worse Mandarin Chinese liturgies. An example of the bad would be the Communion song -- typical contemporary Mandarin Chinese worship music? "I will love Jesus forever." A bit presumptuous, and could be (semi-)Pelagian.
There was a nice reception after the Mass, and I saw Mr. W (the husband of my mother's friend); he was there along with his two sons, the second daughter-in-law, and his daughter. I hadn't seen him during Mass (I think his family was sitting outside in the foyer to the chapel). I thought about approaching him and his family but my mother had already met with them and she was in a rush to get home. (She's off to babysit for my sisters.)
Someone bought "organic" soda (organic sugar cane sugar instead of HFCS) from Costco? I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect it won't be much different from Hansen's. How much is a case? (100 pack?) Sandwiches and egg rolls were from Lee's Sandwiches -- sufficient to satisfy my craving for a sandwich.
No comments:
Post a Comment