Saturday, March 31, 2012

Items of Interest, 31 March 2012

Srdja Trifkovic, Sarkozy the Demagogue

Patrick Buchanan, It's All About Race Now

GARETH PORTER, Israel Shields Public from Risks of War with Iran

Classical Greek Philosophy and American Democratic Thought


Solzhenitsyn, Russell Kirk, and the Moral Imagination by Edward E. Ericson, Jr.
How Reading Josef Pieper Can Help You Stay Sane by Robert M. Woods
The Meaning of Liberty During the American Revolution
by Bradley J. Birzer

Jack Donovan:
interview
There are a lot of ways I could define that group. In an ideological sense, I want to live around people who have the same ideas about how the world should be, because that means we are all working in some harmony and chugging along in the same general direction, rather than working against one another. People “like myself” would also be people who share a similar frame of reference, so that we can speak in a cultural shorthand, understand each other, and trust each other to some degree. I grew up in a white American middle class family with solid working class roots. I am not from millionaires or French aristocrats, and I don’t know ‘bout no ghetto. My pap worked on the railroad and my dad plays horseshoes. I’ve never worked on a train and I suck at horseshoes, but I have a connection with folks like that. Those are my people.
Believing in the same order as a foundation for [civic] friendship. Not just agreeinment upon common goods, but upon the means to those goods.

Feminism leads to an attempt at matriarchy:  "Women do not want men in isolated groups together without female supervision, because women know that brother-bonded men set their own values and stop looking to women for guidance or approval."
Andy Nowicki, In Defense of Squares: A Response to Jack Donovan

Economics:
David Rosen, We Are All Luddites
Tired of waiting for the barbarians by Erik Curren (EB)
The Collapse of Complex Societies (review) by Akshay Ahuja (EB)

Christianity:
An Atheist Argues for Europe's Christianity

Gardening:
The Beauty of Dirty Hands

Feminism:
Q & A with Gov. Madeleine Kunin on “the new feminist agenda”
A true believer who can get by being a true believer because of her material advantages.

Movies:
Roger Ebert's review of October Baby. (The Deep Blue Sea)

Music:
Ron Stewart and Earl Scruggs

Wendy MacIsaac:


Fashion:
The Arrogant Aggression of Scruffy Jeans

No comments: