The "Ick" or "Yuck" factor, especially if the often cited percentage of 80% (the number of men who are invisible to women) is even close to being accurate. Wouldn't some women call Mr. Collins (especially as he is portrayed in the 95 adaptation) "creepy"? There is much that is wrong with Mr. Collin's personality, but I think David Bamber's performance elicits an even greater emotional response:
I was thinking of this post in relation to a professor I know, RS. I don't think he is socially awkward or a gamma. A friend vouches for him, so he probably isn't too weird, from a male POV, and he is affiliated with Opus Dei. If anything he might be a pedestalizing beta. So why would someone I know, along with her friend/housemate call him creepy? Too nerdy or geeky? Definitely the friend thought he was showing some sort of interest in her, and it was unwanted attention.
At the time I took creepy meaning from a male perspective, but now having on sex differences and the psychological dynamics of attraction, was it just an expression of repulsion, possibly mixed with irrational fear? (Though those dabbling in Evo-Psych may claim that it is an adapted response to the perceived threat of an unsuitable male seeking to impregnate one.)
He also got married several years ago, so at least one woman is attracted to him.
What then of the possibly patronizing mother figure who is out to correct the wayward males (or should we say that not about the characters but the authors instead?) and is not attracted to any of them? I say mother figure because if she does not see them as being equals because she is supposedly intellectually superior to them, what other attitude would she have? Too much snark in the book and men will be reminded why Uhmerican women make for such poor quality mates.
The book is supposed to break some sort of mental barrier for men, so that they can realize that women can be their equal or something, but might it lead to the opposite appraisal instead? Too much guesswork based on the publisher's note and a review but I'm not going to pay $ for the book.
If a reaction against feminism is coming, it may very well go to "the other extreme." It depends on how dire the circumstances are and how quick women adapt?
No comments:
Post a Comment