As I’ve been saying here for weeks now, this virus really is an “apocalypse” in the sense of an unveiling. We get to see who we really are. A lot of it is ugly. The cost of social atomization — something that has been driven by many factors in American life since the end of World War II; you cannot blame it wholly on the left or the right — is making itself known. Our political leadership is poor, but so is our followership. I don’t see much of a sense of solidarity of any kind.Dreher is blaming Christians and their churches for different reasons than C. Coulombe's. Do Christians bear some burden of responsibility for allowing certain things to take place. Probably, especially with regards to their priorities in life. But who has been able to talk about forms of "just resistance"? Not many Christian denominations have been willing to do that, except for methods borrowed from non-Christians and their "peaceful" protests, for example, the mass movements against war or for civil rights. When Christians have been instructed to "obey authority" and "offer the other cheek" and so on, I don't think they can blamed for subjecting themselves to a [dis]order not in their control when they start to realize something is wrong. But they can be blamed for their failure to uphold the authority of the father in their families and for not raising their sons and daughters properly.
Can you really look to the churches for that — I mean, the churches as they are today? To be fair, nobody alive today has ever had to deal with anything like this, and it is extremely difficult for churches to do what they are used to doing when we have to live under such strict practices to avoid infecting each other. Still, I see this Covidtide to be a massive call to repentance for all of us. If we Christians had been living and praying and thinking like Christians — if our churches had discipled us, and if we had wanted to be discipled, instead of merely comforted — we wouldn’t be in such a mess today, facing this crisis.
Weird Christianity: The Rod Dreher Interview
Tara Isabella Burton's questions for me about her 'Weird Christianity' thesis
I'd hate to take a look at anything from the NYT, but are any of the Christians being interviewed and profiled for that piece really threats to the system? I don't think so. "Weird but harmless," and some of them might even be duped by some form of the SJW gospel to endorse some sort of leftist political program.
No comments:
Post a Comment